1 the short low gruff noise of the kind made by pigs
2 an unskilled or low-ranking soldier or other worker; "infantrymen in Vietnam were called grunts"; "he went from grunt to chairman in six years"
3 medium-sized tropical marine food fishes that utter a grunting sound when caught v : issue a grunting, low, animal-like noise; "He grunted his reluctant approval"
- /gɹʌnt/, /grVnt/
- Rhymes: -ʌnt
- A short, snorting sound, often to show disapproval, or used as a reply when one is reluctant to speak.
- The cry of a pig when it makes its snorting cry.
- A family of Perciformes fish of the family Haemulidae
- (Army and United States Marine Corps slang) An infantry soldier. (From the sound he presumably makes when shouldering a pack before starting a road march.)
A short, snorting sound, often to show disapproval, or used as a reply when one is reluctant to speak
The cry of a pig when it makes its snorting cry
A family of Perciformes fish of the family Haemulidae
- German: Grunzer
An infantry soldier
- Frequentative: gruntle
- Of a person: To make a grunt or grunts.
- Of a pig: To make a grunt or grunts.
Of a person: To make a grunt or grunts
Of a pig: To make a grunt or grunts
- See grund
- Regular adverb construction of grund
Grunt may refer to:
- a deep guttural sound, sometimes used by tennis players
- slang for an infantryman
- A character in the G.I. Joe universe who is, in fact, an infantryman. See Grunt (G.I. Joe).
- "The Grunt", a 1970 instrumental recording by The J.B.'s
- the fantasy novel Grunts, see Grunts (novel).
- fishes in the family Haemulidae called grunts , see Haemulidae.
- the death metal singing style, see Death grunt.
- the class Grunt in Conkers bad fur day (N64) & Conker: Live and reloaded (xbox) , see Grunt (Conker).
- a Covenant enemy in Halo: Combat Evolved'' (see Grunt (Halo).)
- a dessert comprised of stewed or baked fruit covered with a rolled biscuit or cookie dough and baked. Certain grunts called "slumps" are similarly made but inverted before serving, so that the crust is on the bottom.
- a Warcraft orcish warrior.
- the simplest unit in the video game Z_(computer_game)
- Gruntz a puzzle/strategy game.
- a type of fish the Grunt-fish
- Grunt RX-10 - a sci-fi project and book, a Matrix parody Grunt_RX-10
- a huffled angry sound.
Zouave, air a grievance, animal noise, bark, barking, bawl, beef, bellow, bellyache, bersagliere, birdcall, bitch, blare, blat, blubber, boom, bray, breathe, buzz, cackle, call, carabineer, chant, chasseur, chirp, clamor, clang, complain, coo, crab, croak, crow, cry, dogface, doughfoot, drawl, exclaim, expert rifleman, flute, foot soldier, footslogger, fret, fret and fume, fusileer, fuss, gasp, grenadier, gripe, groan, grouch, grouse, growl, grumble, gruntle, hiss, holler, howl, howling, infantryman, keen, kick, light infantryman, lilt, lodge a complaint, marksman, mating call, mumble, murmur, musketeer, mutter, note, oink, paddlefoot, pant, pipe, raise a howl, register a complaint, rifle, rifleman, roar, rumble, scold, scream, screech, sharpshooter, shriek, sibilate, sigh, sing, snap, snarl, sniper, snort, sob, squall, squawk, squeal, stridulation, take on, thunder, trumpet, twang, ululation, wail, warble, whine, whisper, woodnote, yap, yawp, yell, yelp